1 PETER 1:13 – 2:3
(1:13-16) Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
(1:17-21) Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
(1:22-25) Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
(2:1-3) Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
- What are some burdens / sins I need to bring to light?
- What part of sharing my struggles with others scares me?
- Break through the denial by listing the painful truth about your excuses and behavior.
- Example: Denial – My behavior is not as bad. Truth – All have fallen short of the glory of God; I can only measure myself with God’s standards
- Focus on the promises of God that are true of you in Christ to help you let go of your excuses and cling to His truth.
- I am accepted and worthy (Romans 15:7; Psalm 139)
- I am never alone (Hebrews 13:5b; Romans 8:38,39)
- I am adequate (2 Corinthians 3:5-6; Philippians 4:13)
- I have boldness and confidence (Proverbs 3:26; Hebrews 10:19)
- God is faithful to me (Philippians 1:6; 2:13; 2 Thessalonians 3:3)
- I have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16; 2 Timothy 1:7)
- I have hope (Psalm 62:5; Romans 15:13; Col. 1:27)
- I am seen as perfect (Hebrews 10:14; Colossians 2:13)
- I have been chosen and set apart (Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 2:9)
- I lack nothing (Philippians 4:19)
- I am free from fear (Psalm 34:4; 2 Timothy 1:7)
- I live by faith (Romans 1:17; 2 Corinthians 5:7)
- I have strength (2 Samuel 22:33; Psalm 28:7)
- I have victory (Proverbs 2:7-8; Romans 8:37)
- I have wisdom (Proverbs 2:6-7; 1 Corinthians 1:30)
- I am free (2 Corinthians 3:17; Romans 6:18)
- I have comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3,4)
- I am protected (Psalm 18:2; 32:7)
- I am perfectly loved (Romans 8:38,39; Ephesians 2:4-5; 5:1-2)
- I am an adopted child of God (Romans 8:16; Galatians 4:6-7; Ephesians 1:5)
- I am totally forgiven (Psalm 103:12; Ephesians 1:7)
- I have been declared righteous (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 1:30)
- I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8; Galatians 4:6; 1 Corinthians 3:16)
- I have direct access to God (Ephesians 2:6; Hebrews 4:16)
- I am blameless (Jude 1:24; Romans 8:1)
- I have been created for good works (Ephesians 2:10)
- I am a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- I have authority over Satan (1 Peter 5:8,9; I John 4:4)
- I have peace with God (Romans 5:1-2)
- I am a light in the world (Matthew 5:14)
- I have an eternal inheritance (Romans 8:16-17; Ephesians 1:14,18)
- I have been raised with Christ (Romans 6:4-8; Galatians 2:20)
- I will be with Christ in heaven (2 Corinthians 5:1; Philippians 3:20)
- I have eternal security (1 John 5:11-13)
- I have spiritual gifts for His service (1 Corinthians 12)